Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Pizza on the Grill... Sort of a Fail

For some time now hubby and I have been thinking and talking about making pizza on the grill. Last night we finally decided to try it.  I had visions of pizza dough falling through the grill a la  the clocks in Salvator Dali's painting,The Persistence of Memory.


I was sure we'd have a giant mess on our hands.  But I was wrong...
I had Googled cooking pizza on the grill and chose carefully the directions that we would follow. I cut one pound of dough in half and shaped it.


I prepared all of our toppings ahead of time.  
The directions warned that we needed to work fast when putting the toppings on.


We used tongs and a paper towel to thoroughly grease the grill with olive oil...


We took a deep breath, said a short prayer and put the dough on the grill and closed the top quickly.


So far so good, right? Here is where it all went downhill.   The directions said that the pizza should cook uninterrupted for about 4-5 minutes.  Thank goodness, with about three minutes to go hubby felt like he could smell something burning.  He opened the top and sure enough... burned pizza dough.
We took the dough off the grill, oiled the uncooked side, slapped the dough back on the grill and rapidly put our toppings on and shut the lid.  Notice that there are no photos of this... i think we were still in shock...

After about 2 minutes hubby checked the pizza and the second side was done... really done, but the cheese wasn't melted so he put them on the top grill, turned the grill off and let the pizza finish "baking".


The final pizza...


Now I have to remind you that I titled this a "sort of a fail".  That's because, despite a burned crust, this was really, really tasty!  There is something about the way the crust cooks in a grill that is really, really good.  So, we've decided that we will give it another try, but the next time we will
~precook the toppings
~turn the grill down before we put the dough on the grill
~cook the first side no longer than two minutes

We have pizza every Friday night so we hope to have this method perfected in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for dropping by...



Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar