The election earlier this month has created quite a bit of
friction between the supporters of the winning candidate and
the ones who supported the loser. Of all the elections I have
witnessed in my lifetime, this one has created the biggest
rift not only between the voters, but between family members
as well.
I have refrained from discussing the results and am not
focusing on them here. I am however, concerned about the
nasty, snarky comments that are being written on Facebook
between friends and sadly, between family members.
It's often been said that the discussion of politics and or
religion is best avoided in social situations. From what I
have read on Facebook, that is a concept that is not
currently being followed. I have read some very nasty,
snarky comments between people who are supposed to be
friends. There has been a great deal of name calling and
belittling of those who voted for the "wrong" candidate,
whoever that may have been.
This behavior has not been limited to Facebook. Families are being
torn apart by this election as well. I recently read about a mother who
uninvited her own child to Thanksgiving dinner because this adult child
voted for the "wrong" candidate.
I don't have much of a family any longer. My parents are both gone now
and my beloved Aunt Susan died last year too. I have some cousins, but
with the exception of one, I do not hear much from them. I am fine, and
not asking for your sympathy because I have a loving husband and a very
good marriage, a dog we both adore, very good friends and especially my
adopted "sister" Robin Carr who fills my heart with joy. I feel blessed to
have so much love in my life. That being said, when family members
have passed on, there is a void in your life that cannot be replaced.
Please consider that tomorrow. Don't disinvite anyone to share your
holiday feast because their political views differ from your own. Let
the holidays be a time for making happy memories, not tearful ones.
We are fortunate to live in a nation that allows freedom of speech and
the opportunity to choose our leaders. Please embrace this idea and
allow for some tolerance. Don't allow an empty seat at your
Thanksgiving table become a regret.
Some years back, while my parents were still alive, they had a
neighbor who they liked very much despite the fact that they had
very different political views. This woman always spent
Thanksgiving alone until we found out she did so. Since I always
hosted the dinner at my house, I decided to invite her to our
holiday feast and included her with our family and friends. We
did this for many years. She always brought the most delicious
pie in a sweet basket and my parents would pick her up and
drive her to our home. For one day, we would put politics
aside and focus on what we shared in common. Jeanne was
a beloved friend of us all and when she passed away we were all
deeply saddened.
Family and extended family are precious. Life is fragile.
Please don't let politics cut the ties that bind.
Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving
filled with good food, and most importantly, good memories.
Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley




0 Yorumlar